At Scholes (Elmet) Primary, we want our pupils to learn about religion:
- to develop a knowledge and understanding of religious beliefs and teachings
- to explain meanings within religious language, story and symbolism
- to develop a knowledge and understanding of religious practices and lifestyles
…and to learn from religion:
- to reflect on aspects of human nature, identity, personality and experience especially in the light of one’s own beliefs and experiences
- to identify and respond to questions about the nature, meaning and purpose of life
- to give informed and considered responses to religious and moral issues
The subject of RE is taught in line with recommendations laid down by the state and the Leeds local authority. At Scholes (Elmet), RE is taught as a separate subject. We often teach the subject around a theme, which could be festivals, buildings or special books. Teaching in this way helps children to compare and consider everybody, ultimately leading to greater understanding and respect.
We do not promote religion or a particular religion: children learn about all major religions and – importantly – that some people choose to have no faith.